Saturday, April 14, 2012

My Abrupt New York Welcoming...

I moved to NYC, and it's only the second day...and my iPhone was already stolen. 
Worst. Feeling. Ever.

Yesterday was actually a great day overall. Our broker told us that we qualified for the apartment we really wanted (we'll be living in Murray Hill in Manhattan!). It's the PERFECT location and I can even walk to work! Added bonus! Also, Ale got his verbal job offer from Wells which was REALLY exciting - so we went out with a group of friends to celebrate everything.



And that's when the night took a wrong turn. At the bar during our celebration last night, I set my iPhone down for literally only a few seconds. I didn't walk away, didn't leave it unattended, but I obviously didn't watch it as intently as I should have during those few seconds, because a moment later it was gone. I noticed immediately, and tried to use the "Find my iPhone" app on Ale's phone to see where it went but no location data was available. I called my phone from Ale's, and it went straight to voicemail (despite my 90% battery charge) - so whoever took it knew what they were doing and knew how to be untraceable. My heart sank.


The kicker of this story is that when we got to the bar, I saw a girls wallet laying on the bar floor with cash falling out of it. I immediately pick it up, return the cash into the wallet, and turned it into an employee at the bar. And hours later my iPhone was stolen.


What they hey, karma???


So today, Ale and I went to the Apple store in Grand Central Station (despite my devastation from losing my phone, running an errand in Grand Central Station was pretty awesome). I told the Apple employee what happened, and he said "You're the 3rd person in 10 minutes to tell me that your phone was stolen last night'....crazy right? But $706 later, I replaced my stolen phone and reconnected with the world.

Yes, you heard me. $706. With that said, I advise anyone and everyone against purchasing AppleCare as your insurance for the iPhone. Yes, it's only $50 to replace it if you break or damage it somehow, but gives you ZERO coverage against lost or stolen phones. Verizon actually has a much better insurance gig.


But hey, I'm a firm believer in balance, and with all the things going smoothly so far, I would expect a hiccup somewhere. But you better believe I'll never take my eyes off my iPhone again!!!!!! Lesson learned - always have to be aware of EVERYTHING.

Welcome to New York! 


1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness!!!!! OH NO! That suuuuucks sooo bad. $706 for a new iphone!?!? INSANE! Hoping things look up!!! :)

    ReplyDelete